Programs & Specializations
MLS - Master of Library Science Degree (accredited by the American Library Association.)
Joint/Dual Degree Programs
The programs described below are those where both programs have agreed to share some courses and reduce the total number of credits below what would be required to do both degrees independently. MLS coursework still needs to be completed within the 5 year time limit.
- Expand the career options for SLIS graduate students
- Take advantage of the special strengths of the academic programs at IUPUI.
General Criteria for SLIS Dual Programs
- Students must apply and meet admission requirements for both programs within the first academic year.
- Good standing requires a GPA of 3.0 in all coursework.
- Students complete a minimum of 30 graduate credits from SLIS, including courses to satisfy the five core foundation areas and either S401 Computer Skills or a waiver.
- Dual degree programs are "campus specific," with SLIS coursework from Indianapolis and the other program credits offered at other IUPUI schools.
- The joint degree is subject to the admission and course requirements as approved by that unit in cooperation with SLIS.
- Students will have an advisor from both units represented in the dual-degree program.
- The dual degrees or certificates are awarded simultaneously.
- Some dual degree programs allow for six graduate credits of internship.
MLS/MA in Philanthropic Studies (School of Philanthropy - Indianapolis)
MLS/MA in History (IU School of Liberal Arts - Indianapolis)
MLS/MS in Health Informatics (IU School of Informatics - Indianapolis)
MLS/J.D. (IU School of Law - Indianapolis)
Master of Library Science with a Certificate in Public or Nonprofit Management (SPEA)
The Master of Library Science with a Certificate in Public or Nonprofit Management is a 42 credit hour program requiring additional courses from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
Specialist in Library and Information Science (post-master's degree)
Admission to the Specialist in Library and Information Science program is handled by SLIS Bloomington, where the degree is conferred. All course work may be completed at IUPUI; the student's advisor must be a full time faculty at either SLIS Bloomington or SLIS IUPUI. Visit the SLIS Bloomington website (www.slis.indiana.edu) to apply to the Specialist program.
Public Library Certification